Saturday, January 1, 2011

T's Take on FATAL ATTRACTION

I hate to say it, but don't impregnate strange women. Michael Douglas is just slimy enough to be perfect for this role. A grown man with a wife and son sleeping with a business associate is wrong for (at least) four very big reasons. And then, no protection? Talk about flirting with disaster.

The whole thing feels very overblown to me. Baby or no, I cannot believe this woman felt honestly that her course of action could lead to anything but a massive explosion of hate and drama. Some women want that, I'd discovered in my life, but they also tend to be very easy to spot.

This was a horror movie more than a thriller, if you ask me, with everything about it blown out of proportion to chill us to our bones. People like this woman tend to be in jail or a psychiatric facility by the time they're thirty-six. For her to just snap and self-destruct at the notion of rejection, well... While I cannot speak to the plausibility of it, because indeed, it is the plausibility of such a scenario that makes it so bone-chilling, the likelihood is rather slim. Like, one in five hundred thousand, minimum.

Movies made for the express purpose of revealing the destruction of a family are things I rarely frequent. With So I Married An Axe Murderer, it was a goofy foray into unbelievable silliness, touching briefly on the idea that you never really know who somebody is. Fatal Attraction shoves misery in your face for an hour and a half. It was like watching Audition. I guess I'm glad I saw it, if only because I know what people are talking about now, but I'll probably never watch it again. I was grateful for the semi-happy ending, though, which is to say the only person who died was the insane lady.

It was fine, I guess, for an unpleasant movie that went out of its way to be weird and unnerving.

Don't watch Fatal Attraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment